[CIG-LONG] problem running Gale

Walter Landry walter at geodynamics.org
Tue May 30 09:45:48 PDT 2006

"Jia Yulu" <jiayulu at gmail.com> wrote:
> Does "crash" mean that the error message is intended? Is it supposed
> to act like this or i did something wrong during installation?

This is the expected result.  You did not do anything wrong.  That is
why it is a developer-only release.

> Where can I get other examples to test the code?

We do not have any other ready-made examples to test the code.

> How to write my own input files?

Right now, there is no documentation on how to write input files.  The
best that I can suggest is to look through the codebase for .xml
files.  Those are all input files of one sort or another.  In
particular, look in src/Underworld/InputFiles.  Be aware that those
examples may not work.  In particular, the version of Gale you
downloaded does not build gLucifer, a visualisation library used by
some input files.

If you want to look at something that works a little better, check out
the stable_static branch

  svn co http://geodynamics.org/svn/cig/long/3D/Gale/branches/stable_static gale

We are still working on it, so it is not guaranteed to work at any
particular time.  But it has two examples, simple-extension.xml and
sandbox-extension.xml (they are basically the same).  Those should run
forever, although there may be a problem with the timestep going to
zero after a while.  There is also a problem with strain weakening not
quite working.  It also does not have a way to visualize the data.
But at least it does not crash.

If you can wait a few weeks, we plan to make another release which
will have the extension model working completely.  It will also have
better (though not perfect) documentation.

walter at geodynamics.org