[CIG-MC] CitComCU bottom permeable boundary condition

Bradford H. Hager bhhager at mit.edu
Mon Apr 30 17:34:04 PDT 2007

Eh Tan-

I don't know if the slow convergence of the Stokes solver is related,
but I do not think that the boundary condition that you describe is
the one that Norm asked for and I do not think that it is physically
meaningful.

I think that the proper boundary condition for a permeable top (or
bottom) boundary condition, if no work is to be done on the boundary,
is that the normal traction is a constant (e.g., zero).  That is, that

tau_rr = -p + visc*dVr/dr = constant.  (Since p is indeterminate to a
constant, either the lithostatic p or 0 should work for the constant.)

The pressure, p. and dVr/dr do not need to be constant (or zero)
individually,  just their sum (OK, their difference, since -p is
involved.)

This boundary condition is easy to implement in ConMan - in fact, it
can be viewed as the default - and has been used in many studies.  It
should be easy to implement in the Cartesian version of CitCom.

But there is some complexity involved since Norm also asks that the
flow be perpendicular to the boundary.  I now switch to Cartesian
coordinates for simplicity, with x horizontal and z vertical.

At the bottom, Norm wants Vx = 0, so dVx/dx = 0 automatically.  But,
if the material is incompressible, dVx/dx = 0 also means that dVz/dz
= 0, so does not contribute to tau_zz (but specifying it explicitly
is redundant and might lead to numerical problems.)  In that case,
since dVz/dz must be zero to satisfy incompressible flow, the proper
boundary condition is p = constant.

Brad Hager